The Primrose Path


$2.50 at the grocery store. I couldn't resist. 


I bought two; one white, one neon.

 Last night, I spent a good amount of time reading about their history, and was sad to learn this type - a hybrid of Primula vulgaris, P. polyantha - is considered a "grow and throw" plant. They are so cute and cheerful, I don't think I can bring myself to toss them after they are done flowering. I want to keep them alive until spring.


 Hopefully the great amount of natural light in the kitchen will keep them happy for a while. They still have a lot of flowers to produce, as you can see.

Have you ever been lured in by the price tag of Supermarket plants?!







5 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos and a great-looking blog.

    If I were you, I'd plant them out into the garden when they're over - a lot of primulas are as tough as old boots and flower even in the snow... Harden them off for a couple of weeks, and then kick them out to fend for themselves in the flowerbed. They divide so easily as well if you want to increase your supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that first white and gold primrose. This is a plant I've never grown, but you're making me want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jason - You should! I'm going to try what @Tuckshop suggested and plant them outside this spring... provided they make it that long. Maybe I'll stick them in a bucket with my amaryllis (since I'm going to try that outside this summer) so they could be dug up pretty easily for some Holiday color indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely little polyanthus you've got there! Most primulas are very easy to lift and divide - ask friends/family or even neighbours if they have any they would like to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie. I've been reading your blog this morning. Really enjoyed your 2012 in review post. I hope you have a lovely weekend and I'll keep my fingers crossed for your snow wishes!

      Delete

 

Instagram

ABOUT

Sarah Brackney is R&S Garden. A gardening fiend. She is no expert, she just gardens. Her gardens are her art. And yes, she has weeds in her garden; she just chooses not to show them to you. Thanks for visiting.